We are in the midst of a health emergency/ crisis, unlike any in recent memory! It often seems, our public leaders seem to pay insufficient attention to the lessons, they should have learned, from history, and, the present pandemic, may indicate so, to a greater extent than we’ve witnessed, before! Recent news reports claim the United States government had knowledge, of a potential pandemic, significantly before, the public heard of the early reports about China, and, President Trump, proclaimed until very recently, there was no crisis, but rather, it was a political hoax, by his opponents/ enemies. Although, he knew of the outbreak, late last year, and was offered testing kits by the World Health Organization (WHO), in January, 2020, he refused them, and crucial time, which might have been used, to be better prepared, when the Coronavirus appeared within our nation, was wasted, and, thus, further endangered our citizens, etc. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 ways this pandemic has been mishandled, and how it made a potential, significant difference, in both, the severity, and length of this crisis.
1. Acting too slowly: For a variety of reasons, including disbanding his expert committee of advisers (Pandemic Committee), and continuing to deny, the existence of it, valuable time was squandered, and wasted, which should have been used to be far better prepared! Although, no one, could have prevented this crisis, perhaps, President Trump, should be held, at least partially responsible, for the level of being unprepared, we are now witnessing! Any of our recent Presidents, in my opinion, would have been positioned, better, because, none of them, continuously denied science and scientific experts, and proclaimed, they had more knowledge! Arrogance and ignorance/ stupidity is an awful combination, especially, for a leader!
2. Confusing, misguided, messaging: Especially, in times of crisis (actual, and/ or, perceived), citizens need to have faith in their leader, and a belief, he has their best interests in mind, instead of any personal/ political agenda, and self – interest! When this President, consistently, articulates conflicting messages, and has done so, according to political fact – checkers, since he was elected, and so many others (with scientific backgrounds), gave a less optimistic tone, many were either confused, or failed to take the danger (potential and actual) seriously!
3. Playing politics: Mr. Trump has, consistently, fought against, anyone who disagrees with him, or, in any way, opposes his perspective! In the lead – up, to this crisis, rather than taking charge, and pulling people together, for the greater good, he played, politics – as – usual!
4. Trump’s ego: Whether President Trump is ego – driven, or so insecure, he needs to be constantly, lauded, his resistance to admitting he doesn’t have all the answers, and accept personal responsibility, has wasted much – needed attention, and time, to prepare, properly!
5. Putting money/ economy/ stock market, ahead of public’s health: This President’s focus and emphasis, whether, regarding foreign relationships (especially with our traditional allies), using tariffs to enforce a potentially damaging, trade policy (thus, for example, not having, on – handed, many of the medical supplies, manufactured in China), or equating the stock market, with the overall economy, he has consistently, seemed to put economic concerns ahead of the public good! However, when a crisis arrives, this policy becomes dangerous, as well as misguided, and ill – considered!
No one individual or nation is responsible for this current pandemic, however, President Trump’s combination of denial, misstatement, lack of homework/ knowledge, and apparent need for ego – stroking, has made the crisis, even worse! Wake up, America, and choose future leaders, more wisely!
Source by Richard Brody